What to Do if You Are Unexpectedly Stopped for Questioning
Being stopped by the police is always going to be at least a little alarming, even if you truly have done nothing wrong. Here are some pointers to remember in order to properly conduct yourself and handle the situation in case this ever happens:
- Remain calm. Do not try to escape, run away, argue, resist, or obstruct the officers. Do not do anything that will make the situation escalate.
- Keep your hands where the police can see them.
- Remain silent if you so wish. You have that right so make sure you tell the officer that.
- You can ask if you are free to leave. If yes, walk away silently.
- You can ask why you are being arrested.
- You can refuse to be searched, including your belongings. However, officers can pat down your clothing for weapons. But if they want to search your car or your belongings, you can say no.
If you happen to be arrested upon being stopped by the police, Absolute Bail Bonds can post bail so you don’t have to sit in jail until further notice. You or a loved one will just need to contact us at AbsoluteBailBonds.com or (800) 793-2245. Once we devise a payment plan that is acceptable for you, we’ll get the paperwork processed right away.