As Christmas approaches, more and more people turn to online shopping to buy gifts for their friends and family members. This leads to an increase in packages being delivered to their houses, which can be problematic. Thieves love it when they see a package sitting unattended on a porch. They may not know what they are stealing, but they know they can easily take it.
No one wants to have their package stolen, especially when it is a gift for someone else. That is why it is important that everyone takes extra precautions when buying things online. You do not want to give thieves an opportunity to steal your package.
Luckily, most delivery services and online retailers provide their clients with options to help prevent package theft.
- Always get a tracking number for the package. This will allow you to know when the package will be delivered, and make sure that someone is there to collect it for you.
- FedEx and USPS allow customers to schedule deliveries for a set time, thus ensuring someone will be home to get the package.
- If possible, leave delivery instructions. FedEx allows clients to leave instructions on where the box should be left, such as at the back door instead of the front door.
- Request that a signature be needed for the delivery. This way, if no one is home, the package will not be left at the door unattended.
- Try having the package delivered somewhere other than your home. FedEx and UPS will allow you to have a package delivered to a neighbor or your work.
- Opt for instore pickup. Many retailers allow for items to be ordered online and picked up in a store with no extra charge.